People learn from people. We know the value of a social learning culture, but time and time again L&D teams are asking themselves “how can we create a social learning culture inside our organisation?” Answer: you can’t. And here’s why.
You can’t create a social learning culture inside your organisation, because it’s not about you. A social learning culture can’t be created by L&D, HR, or even the CEO, because it’s not about you.
It’s not about the right content strategy, the right messaging or the right platform. It’s all about the right people. Or to quote Paula Brockwell from The Employee Experience Project, “Even if you put the loveliest and freshest ingredients into sewage and boil them for a bit … they would still taste like 💩.”
However, when it comes to social learning, there are people who do this really well. You know where they are? They’re on Twitch, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok.
You can’t create a social learning culture inside your organisation, but you can enable one.
What you can do:
- Find people who are genuine influencers and social media storytellers
- Give them the tools they need to tell their stories
- Let them share their genuine selves at work
- Let them know that it’s ok to share their genuine selves at work
- Trust your employees that they know how to work in this environment
- Make your peace with the fact that you can’t control the narrative or the stories
- If your people cross the boundaries, tell them.
Harness the power of influence
If you want to enable a social learning culture in your organisation, come and talk to us.
We have a tried and tested, award-winning approach to social learning, which we call Workplace Influencers.
And, when you’re ready: